Good evening gents! I am considering buying a sxs muzzle loading rifle for use in the muzzle loading only deer season here in MI. I have zero fancy for the modern inlines, nor for single barrel rifles. I have long been a fancier of English double shotguns, and so a double rifle has an appeal to me, especially those with similar designs to the double shotguns. From pursuing the gun auction sites, it seems that the ML double rifles are less common then their shotgun equivalents, and vastly more expensive. I am however just learning about them. The only one I have found that is old and under $4,000 is on gunbroker, but its a un named one proved in Birmingham for $2,300. Is that to be expected? Un named shotguns would be decidedly under $1,000 and many known names, such as I. Hollis, can still be had for under $1,000. Are rifles really that much more or is it simply what happens to be for sale at the present moment?

It would also seem that ML cape guns are just as high, even more expensive then their cartridge cousins.

Any does anyone have the Summer 1998 edition of the DGJ? From the index in the most recent DGJ, it would seem that there was an article on muzzle loading double rifles in that edition. I was wondering if it focused just on one rifle, or had useful info on all ML doubles. I would enjoy learning what I can, even if I don't purchase one right away.

Thank you in advance for any insight on the twisted (rifled) side of doubles!

NRA Patron Life Member