Because- The common "clickety-clack ptr 1950 Model 12's in my stable are my "go to money guns" The side-by-sides: LC Smiths, Parkers and one AH Fox 20 Sterly-- well, as in golf, you drive for show, but you putt for the dough--All 11 of those "Perfect Repeaters" show "wear with care" except the 28 gauge--abd I shot shit-birdies in dairy and beef cattle venues- so if I slip on some shit and take a slip and fall- better with a field grade Model 12 than my Eagle Grade Smith- and yes, I always check the muzzle(s) and open the gun du jour to verify no mud or cowshit has plugged the barrel(s) prior to shooting again. Also, most of the gents that watch me shoot "off seasoN" wear Big Smiths, Carhartts or Dickies, Georgia boots and feed and seed store baseball caps- use Red Man or Copenhagen, and would wonder, perhaps, at a serious senior bird shooter like yours truly, dressed pretty much the same, totin' a fancy-schmancy shotty gun like that Eagle Grade-or even the Ideal Grade LONGRANGE I just picked up from Brad B. today- to them, a fine shotgun is a Winchester Model 1897, or a Iver Johnson Champion- 12 gauge and you can bet your ass- 30" full choked--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..