Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Keith, ammunition performance is something that can be OBSERVED. In my case, if I'm comparing loads, I start by tearing a couple apart and doing a pellet count. I've found, for example, that the "book" figure of 225 US 6's per ounce can vary significantly from one brand to another. I've counted around 200/oz in some; close to 250 in others. My conclusion, based on observation, is that you cannot comment accurately on pattern density as a % by relying on "book" values for an accurate pellet count. Obviously, if one load has 250 pellets vs another than has only 200, the load with 250 stands an excellent chance of delivering more pellet strikes within a 30" circle. But even there, one can be surprised--which is why you need to shoot patterns and count holes. For example, Kent used to make a very hot 16ga nickel plated lead load. I tested some in 7 1/2, 1 ounce, and compared to other loads with 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2. I was surprised to find that the Kent load, starting with a deficit of something like 40+ pellets vs the others, delivered more hits in the 30" circle than did the 1 1/8 oz loads. So stuff like that can be observed. Doesn't make me a ballistician, but you don't need to be a ballistician to count pellets and shoot patterns.

Larry you know that counting all those little pellets and holes only makes sense to a guy with little to no shotgun experience....I was once a hole counter.

Point being that if after shooting enough patterns you can't just tell by looking at them their effectiveness then you need to just throw in the towel.