Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Is there any position of the safety where both barrels fire when one pulls only one trigger? There are some waterfowl guns out there which will fire both barrels on one trigger pull if the shooter pulls one (I think it's usually the rear) trigger first.
I'll speculate this might be such a gun but with sort of a belt-and-suspenders system for choosing one, the other, or both barrels.
--

This is reminiscent of the fore-and-aft safety/selector combination on some early Miller single triggers.... As far as I'm concerned, a safe-handling nightmare....

Nope. As stated, Forward (normal) position, you can fire barrels normally. Rear position, Safe. Middle, you can only fire the left barrel, safety snaps forward simultaneously with the fall of the left hammer. There is a definite detent in the middle, but you can push through it easily to move the safety to the forward position.

A one-off request by a customer no doubt. Gun has a proof date of 1917 and with over-care by previous owners not being an issue, I'm a little amazed the safety works so well.