It is my (previously expressed wink ) opinion that the 'erect head position', at least for target shooters, is mostly mythology, partially related to the staged studio and field images of Live Bird shooters in the 'ready position' such as Rolla Heikes here

or J.A.R. Elliott and his Winchester 1893

There are almost no 'live action' images until after about 1910, but this is Mrs. W.C. Shattuck at the 1900 GAH at Live Birds, and her mount is not unlike lady trap shooters today

or Travers Island 1911. I haven't ID'd the lefty on Station 2;
John R. Taylor station 3, Jack Fanning 4, and Charles Newcomb 5.

Lots of images and infro here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c7UkkNyMTZ9NAztILpzjSLKvgIneAw5i7eqkZ3d3Eno/preview

Sporting Life Nov. 12, 1898
Rich. Oliver, a well-known English shot, speaking of grouse shooting, says he does not recommend a too rigid attitude. A military position, he declared quite wrong. He said if it could only be impressed upon young sportsmen that they should lean well forward upon their guns, with their heads also thrown forward, they would shoot much better. It is better to keep the left arm down toward the trigger as much as possible for this kind of shooting, as the leverage of the arm is so much better in that attitude.

Hard to assess the head position as the bird appears to be high, but the arm is well extended

Robert Churchill, and the barrel may be longer than the XXV