Agreed. My 1905 era (Thank you, Mr. Laxcoach) 12 bore grade 3E LC Smith left the factory with 28" barrels open choked, with the std. splinter forearm- was sent back in 1928 and fitted with a set of 32" barrels choked F&F, with a beavertail forearm. As the original splinter forearm fits perfectly on the later 32" Nitro steel Ventilated barrel set, when I use it for live birds, as I do not pre-mount like the trapshooters do, but use the Ken Davies H&H school technique, I find I have greater handling dynamics in that mode. Also, the LC Smith forearm in beavertailed configuration is way too bulky for my hand grasp--I am thinking about finding another LC Smith beavertail forearm, just the wood, and having Brad B. reconfigure it much in the style of the M21 kidney shaped beavertail of the late 1930's era- I grasp the barrels much as you describe, and with good success afield. As to barrel heat, I use a golf glove on my left (barrel grasping) forward hand when shootingboth at clays (on occasion) and on real feathered targets (my strong preference)-- Your comments about the late Charles Askins were well placed, Sir. I also have his book from that era-indeed, a fine read even today. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..