Sorry guys. Still cleaning up after returning from the Canelo Hills area. Met up with Chuck H., his BIL, and Bill Henry; plenty of dog power with Sky, Chick and Dirk who thought Sky was really hot and delusionally, at age 10, thought he could race through the countryside with her. He can hardly walk now. 31 and snowing over the Santa Ritas as I drove up 83 toward Sonoita, and the snow hit us as we started. An incredible sunrise through the clouds over the Mustang Mountains, and snow on Mt. Wrightson to the west.

First re: Capt. Money. I think that image was from a Peters promo or ad dated 1914, but agree the picture was taken much earlier. I do think it's the Capt. based on his Parker, body habitus, likely mustache, and esp. the eyes.

Second: target gun barrel length.
Until about 1900, most competitors used 30" barrels.
After Fred Gilbert won the 1st DuPont Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament with a Smith, orders poured in with the "Fred Gilbert Specifications": drop at comb of 1 3/8 inches; at the heel, 2 inches; length from trigger to heel, 14 1/4 inches; trigger to toe 14 1/2 inches; and trigger to center of butt 14 inches; with a full pistol grip and 30-inch full choke barrels.
Gilbert used his Smith in the 1899 GAH then switched to a Parker.
Order Book No. 41 records BH SN 83855 placed into stock in January, 1896 consigned to Fred Gilbert. The stock book lists a D5 hammerless, 0 extras, straight stock,12 gauge, 30" barrels.
Toward the end of 1901, Gilbert received his new Parker DH SN 103649; no dolls head, no ejectors, 32" barrels.

As Researcher observed, the transition to single barrel repeating shotguns was starting after introduction of the Winchester 1897, used by the great J.A.R. Elliott, and with a 30" barrel the sighting plane was more like 32".

1914 GAH. The resolution is not adequate to ID many of the guns, but clearly a bunch of repeaters

Last edited by Drew Hause; 12/29/15 07:48 PM. Reason: 1914 image added