My apology to all those who contributed $s and barrel segments for tensile testing and composition analysis. I submitted 7 articles a year ago to DGJ, including a 2 part failure analysis and metallurgical study. I have not been informed that the articles have been rejected, but maybe Cote' is trying not to hurt my tender feelings smile

I have material for an 8th article regarding composition analysis, which would include Dave's Parker barrel study, but don't wish to invest more time or money until if/when the other articles are published. If ultimately rejected, I'll give up, eat the cost of the testing, and put the articles on the DamascusKnowledge website.

I recently obtained a Meriden Fire Arms single barrel. Sears catalog No. 117 of 1908 listed the No. 18 double and the single barrel No. 424 A.J. Aubrey guns with "Genuine Armory Steel" AND "Genuine Crystal Barrels". Catalog No. 124 of 1912 listed the No. 18 double with "Decarbonized Steel".

I also came into a c. 1920s Crescent single barrel which interestingly still retains the 'LLH' mark of Laurent Lochet-Habran. The barrel is not marked "Armory Steel" so composition analysis should be interesting.

Crescent listed "Armory Steel" barrels with the introduction of the Model 0 Hammer Double in 1897. The 1902 Sears catalog listed the “Automatic Ejector Single Gun”, a Crescent No. 8 “Bored For Nitro Powder” with “Decarbonized Armory Steel Barrel”. As late as H&D Folsom Arms Co. Catalogue No. 35 (1930-31), the listing for the New “Empire” (Crescent No. 9) states the barrels are “Fine Decarbonized ‘High Pressure’ Steel – Proof Testing with loads considerably heavier than standard loaded shells”.
I suspect "Armory Steel" is going to turn out to be similar to Marlin “Special Rolled Steel” and Winchester Standard Ordnance (Bessemer Cold) “Rolled” Steel with a reported tensile strength of 66,000 - 69,000 psi.