Well guys on your advice I ran out and bought it. I was able to talk the price down to $2400 out the door!

Now that it is in my possession, there are no proofs anywhere near the muzzle end. The bottom front of the fore end has what appears to be a horn insert and the trigger guard is the same material.

None of the screws have any perceptible markings on them and all the engraving still lines up perfectly so the gun shop tells me it is doubtful it was ever opened.

Also included in the documentation, was a verbal story about the provenance (war bring back) the test fired cartridges (do not yet have them) and receipts and notes from a gunsmith for looking over the firearm to make sure it is safe, test firing it, and chamber casting it.

I'll get some more picture up to show you the whole package soon.

In the mean time, can you point me to a good resource for load data for antique guns? I still plan to recast the chamber before committing time and money to acquiring any particular ammo and to keep the gun safe!

Any tips on maintaining and caring for it as well as methods of preservation/for long term storage? I do plan to keep it a shooter if possible so recommended cleaning materials as well?

Last edited by L3n4rd; 06/29/15 02:21 PM.