Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
So, if we have Spanish copies of the Beasley/Purdey, even very old ones, are they self openers? Does anyone have clear pictures of a Spanish copy of that design, with the locks off?
I'd love to see one.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

Going as far back as about 1900 some Spanish gun makers offered a choice of between eight and fifteen different locks that were available for inclusion on whatever shotgun a customer may have ordered. Among these locks were four that were immediately recognizable as English designs, and these designs were Holland & Holland, Purdey, Vickers, and Boss. From circa 1900 to circa 1980 the number of different locks available for inclusion on new gun ordered dwindled, and I believe became limited to Holland & Holland locks (and derivatives) and Purdey locks circa 1980.

At least three Spanish makers offered shotguns with Purdey locks and Purdey self-opening actions. These gun makers were Victor Sarasqueta, Ignacio Ugartechea, and Aguirre y Aranzabal. I know these three made such guns because Ive seen examples my lack of observable examples from other makers does not mean such guns dont exist.

JohnfromUK has one of the AyA guns and can likely provide photos.

Spanish side lock guns with Purdey lock only are not rare, but are quite expensive and seldom seem outside of Spain. The Spanish call these guns escopetas de llaves de 4 pilars (shotgun of lock of the four pillars).

PM sent.

Last edited by Kyrie; 04/04/15 03:55 PM.