Originally Posted By: jj hawkins
Raimey
Yes it is the one pictured above on this page. I put it on layaway at Cabelas so I could do some research before I plunged headfirst into a gun I didn't know much about. However after reading this post I think ill run right back out there to pick it up this weekend. For being 6 1/4 pounds and pre-WWII its tight and closes (as doverham put it) with a sound like an 8 lb perazzi. I was also very impressed with the slim lines of the gun. It seems very well made, and the stop is quite interesting (although the hidden stop is moreso)

here is the link to Cabelas ad for the gun

Verney Carron Helistop - Cabelas

Nice looking gun, JJ. The long barrels on a French 16 are somewhat unusual. My first V-C, many years ago, was an "Helice 33", No. 3 grade--per the information V-C sent me from their 1934 catalog. Almost identical engraving to yours. The Helice 33 was a new model (introduced in 1933, as the name would indicate) which featured coil mainsprings. the No. 3 grade featured diamond steel barrels and the nice engraving similar to yours. (The standard 33 was basically plain, without engraving, and had "very fine" barrel steel.) Introduced in both 12ga and 16ga. Listed weight of the 16ga was 2kg750-2kg850. Pretty light. Enjoy your V-C.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/09/15 09:53 AM.