Originally Posted By: PA24

Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
Some of the reading I have done has stated that a lower gloss finish is desired in some of the vintage American makes. That was the reason I gleaned for only polishing to 320 grit. Now I'm trying to figure out how to create a surface with no visible imperfections at such a low sanding factor. Do you polish the barrels higher up in shine and then dull them back down with something? Does the etchant help with this on damascus barrels? There's a lot to learn. I know I can polish a piece of metal to a mirror finish, but I'm not sure that's going to produce the period appropriate finish desired on certain guns.

Or do I have it all wrong regarding the 320 grit?

Jawjadawg:

**If you want the standard "American Field Grade" barrel blue finish, polish by hand to 400 grit.

**As you polish keep checking that you have removed all of the flaws/ghosts/dings/pits and other imperfections. Draw file and polish as necessary.

**As you card your barrels after each rusting application CHECK the color as it darkens. When the barrels reach the FIELD GRADE BLUE, as was typical with lower grade American Field Grade guns you merely STOP with your rusting passes,boilings and cardings.

**You will then have a re-blued set of barrels that should look like they did when they left the factory, if you did your homework on color and polished the barrels properly to the best of your ability.

Best Regards,

Doug,

Did you do the case-coloring on that as well? It's a spectacular example of workmanship, something for a humble amateur to aspire to.

Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.