On this one I didn't have a pattern, so that choice was made for me. If I had a pattern or was intending to make a somewhat standardized stock pattern/rifle line I would make a pattern and duplicate.

What I didn't show is how far I can really go with the mill. One can go so far as to get most of the rounding done.

My first step is to cut the side profile, then I flip the blank 90 degrees and mill the widths; width of magazine area, width of forend, width of the butt, grip width. By taking the vise off the mill and blocking/clamping the blank one can set the correct angles to do the taper on the forend, butt, etc...With careful placement of the blank you can even start the rounding of the butt; toe to back of grip and heel to the noe of comb.

The pics below are me just milling the widths. Notice the blocking and clamping of the blank. This blank called for neutral cast and no cheek-piece, which made things easier. Blending, swamping, and further rounding is done by hand. machining the blank as far as possible makes for an incredibly consistant base to work from.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044