Gentlemen, the selector that you have boxed controls the safety, when you move it to the left it raises the rear sight that is about 6 to 8 inches forward of the breech. there is a very small rod under the rib that is pushed by a pin. Who ever did this was a master craftsman for sure. It also engages the rear trigger to fire the rifle barrel. When you swing it to the right you can fire the shot gun barrels.

It also has a tang sight that can be raised, the small piece of the sight that can be elevated after the tang sight is raised is to only part missing.

Sorry I didn't mention the sights earlier.

The mark 1g111 is on the forearm and other places on the piece. the powder markings are right near this on the rifle barrel.

I will take some more pic today and also get some measurements.

When you look into the barrels from the breech end you can see there is no shoulder for the rifle but there could possibly be a taper that you cannot notice. I will try and get a depth measurement on both the rifle and shot gun barrels.

My friend did not land on D-Day but did fight till the end of the war. I hunted with him for many many years and he very very seldom talked about those times, then it was to talk about this piece or the wine he "liberated". His sister told me he was wounded more than once but he never ever talked about the fighting.

He passed several years ago and was a great guy to hunt with for not only me but my sons and daughter.

Forgot to say that the word sicher is inlaid right where the box you overlaid crosses the tang near the small selector and toward butt of the stock.

Last edited by Big Redneck; 02/01/15 10:59 AM.