Thanks for your report, RHD45. Nothing like from a person who was there. I can't remember if it was a conscript army at the time. If so, that would account for a lot of fragging by guys who didn't want to be there. Your story of discipline reminded me of the same kind of leadership by noncoms and officers on both sides of the India-Pakistan war at the same time Vietnam fragging was in the news---what, around '71 or '72?

Thanks, again. I love to hear these stories, the details, camaraderie. I remember a Gurkha telling me "I know if I listen to my sergeant I'm going to go home." After a night patrol piled in a dugout all the mountain men wanted to hear were hunting stories about my dog. That's enough, I'd say, but they would ask for just one more story about Jake.

The Muslims on one side and Hindus on the other were impressive in action, proud of their regiments and officers. Officers were more British than the British. An Indian brigadier on the front line said he would be seeing his Hindu friend on the other side in a few weeks in Geneva at an international (ground) hockey conference. Crazy!