Vol,
I have two double rifle projects underway that use shotgun actions. One is a 16 gauge Sauer that was manufactured in 1929. It is chambered for the .450/400 3" and my stress testing was done with my standard load for the cartridge using a 10% heavier bullet, firing two loads from each barrel. Extraction was easy and the action opened with ease.

If you haven't already read Brown's book you owe it to yourself to fully understand how this work is done whether you are commissioning the work or doing it yourself.

I have done all of this work myself except designing the barrel profile and making the initial extractor cut on the breech end of the barrels which Morris Melani of Big Lake, Alaska did for me. The profile incorporates three radii and the profiling was done on the lathe doing plunge cuts at 1/8" increments to predetermined depths established in MasterCam. Draw filing cleaned up the marks. These are svelte and beautiful barrels.

This was my way of having a double rifle without the inordinate expense of purchasing an old one. Additionally, I have new barrels with modern steel and feel I don't need to fret about what bullet I shoot in it. I am using the Hornady DG bullets at nearly 2,100 fps. The rifle without the ribs weighs 8 lb 4 oz and when the ribs are installed I expect the finish weight to be around 8 3/4 lbs.

Here are a couple of images.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Dennis

Dennis