The lore of hunting with old side x sides is, in my opinion, an attempt to return to simpler days. For those of us who use these guns it is rarely a question of how much a gun costs, but rather one of the enjoyment we derive from being afield with a gun with some nostalgia behind it.
Every time I hear about soft markets, or old doubles not bringing what they should, it is usually voiced by people who do not buy these guns for the long term. People who, if they can't buy a gun for pennies on the dollar, figure they are going to be losing money on resale. Well you may be right, but that does not mean the guns are worth less, it means that more and more buyers out there are trying to buy guns to flip.
If I offer a gun for sale it will be sold to the end user, and I would expect that buyer to enjoy the gun for what it is, and the pleasure to be derived from it.
It is a shame that some people have to sell their doubleguns for far less than their actual value, but anyone who places the same value on a classic side x side versus a modern pumpgun should be buying pumpguns.
Let the angry responses begin.