When I graduated high school, I couldn't get a job on Imperial Oil tankers to see southern US belles or those in the Caribbean, so I walked up two blocks to the Herald and asked if they had any jobs, reporter or anything.

Mr. Weldon, the advertising manager handling jobs, said there was an opening for proofreader to get the hang of daily reporting, and if I worked out after three months there would be a job for me in the newsroom.

My Dad then was 10 years from journalism, a village shopkeeper. No scrubbing: my career was featured article in The Financial Post magazine Impetus under "King Brown: the heroic battles of a bluenose paladin, by Harry Bruce, Feb. 1974."

It was distinguished journalist and author Bruce who wrote "Kingsley Brown, the boy wonder of the pioneer days of CBC news reporting, an international hotshot in the deadly competition of big-time television news coverage." Look it up.

The curious and enthusiastic don't need daddies to get them jobs. Mr. Weldon, an avuncular service club man, did just fine by me.