brian: here are my answers to your questions above:

1. in my view there are no reasonable restrictions on our constitutional rights...except those imposed on us by the supreme court of the land.

2. a law that may impact the use of firearms for illegal purposes would include mandatory severe prison sentences for those convicted of criminal possession and misuse of firearms. otherwise, all laws restricting the possession of firearms restrict law abide citizens, as well as criminals.

3. as good citizens we sometimes need to give up some of our rights to promote the general welfare. for example, much of our environmental practices would not be viable without the willing cooperation of good citizens. we have the right to throw our trash out the window, but good citizens do not do that.

4. yes, and I believe we do have that now, in the form of the nics system which is used by most ffl dealers for background checks. I think that is a good idea. primarily, because it makes it possible for dealers like myself to sell firearms nationwide to people they do not know and have never seen, with reasonable assurance that the firearms that pass through their hands will not be transferred to criminals.

keep it simple and keep it safe...