Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
......... the cylinder barrel threw a pattern with a diameter of 22" compared to 18" for the IC. 4 inches doesn't sound like much, until you review your high school geometry and recall the formula for the area of a circle--at which point you'll find that the area of the cylinder pattern is about 50% greater.

Somebody help me out here, but at this point I can't get my head around how the total area included in that extra 4" of radius is such a big help. You can't miss a bird on all sides of the pattern at the same time. All you can do is miss at one place on the circumference. You might say, "Yes, but how do you know which side you're going to miss on?". I don't (with the possible exception that the greatest majority of misses with a shotgun are over, and/or behind), but that doesn't change the fact that I cannot utilize that entire area at once to help prevent a miss.

Looks to me like the advantage is the 4" itself, not the total area. How 'bout it Miller?

SRH

Even if we only look at the radius of the pattern to determine the aiming error/allowance, a 22" pattern will still have 22% more error/allowance than an 18" pattern.