Originally Posted By: Stan
Vernal,

Since you have some mystical "insight" to what MM's intent was when he wrote that article, which by the way, was in the Sept.-Oct. 2010 issue of SSM, I am going to include here two inarguable things printed therein.

The title of the article is "More Things We Can Do Without"

and

A quote from the article ........ "An upland hunter can do himself a treat by installing Cylinder bore tubes in both barrels and losing the others".

One question. Do doves, desert quail and wild pheasant fall under the category "upland birds"?

SRH

Mr. Stan,

My insight isn't "mystical", it's analytical , and I discussed it with the author personally.
The point of the article was to explain the effectiveness of today's cartridges compared to those of yesteryear which is why nobody orders double guns choked full/full anymore like your classic Fox was.
It's not necessary!

In my state pheasants and doves have to be hunted with nontoxic on public land so I typically just use steel in a 390 which has a skeet choke screwed in, just because I don't have cylinder. And I don't take 45yard shots, unless dove shooting in Mexico when the Paz takes the trip.

What choke constriction do you use for pheasants, desert quail and doves?

Vernal