Ed, I've watched this site for quite a while now ...seen lots of good and bad stuff ,participated in some... but I have to ask the question ...well actually a couple .
What the hell is the exact point you are trying to make? Why do you feel the need to try and justify your low end fix er up solutions for a worn finish ,the bottom line is that you do it the "wrong way " it looks shitty,but you obviously sell a few guns by it and so be it ...I'm a gunsmith I've seen guns burnt to crap in house fires and you can clean them up,re stock and re sell and they work fine ,it's steel ,they're shotguns (low pressure ) the whole cracked receiver safety crap is just that . Point final.

But what is this inherent need with you to stir up shit ? you have no old time friend smith ,it's you and we all know it ...so why ?

The bone and charcoal looks the best,it was offered by all the old time makers as a restoration (check the Parker Story for instance ) so it's not wrong ,so shag off!!!

Hard fitting is a fact of the process,whether it be the first time or tenth time ,I asked the same question a year or so ago if someone has evidence of either method cracking or destroying a receiver and show proof ...none did ,and again ,shag off!!!

You seem to have a need to be a a shit disturber ,you make yourself seem like a rational fella ,poising supposedly legitimate questions about the process..the bottom line is you don't fool anyone here ,you don't have an "old Ed " the gunsmith who restores guns for you ,you temper color receivers to mimic proper coloring, because its quick and easy and you make a buck from it ,so just let it rest please ,I personally don't believe you do any real irreversible harm but it don't look "right " so just stop the tirade ,be content to sell your faux colored guns and give this crap up ,you're making yourself look like a proper tool!