rhd: I respect the opinion of most here regarding this subject. I particularly respect those here who back up their opinion with facts. however, my attitude about what is proper is determined by the marketplace and not by members of this forum.. try looking at it this way, from a business perspective:

if a product can be sold for a reasonable profit as is, then its a no brainer. sell it and move on to the next job.

if money has to be spent to enhance an item to make it sellable, then the least expense enhancement is the right choice, so long as it meets sales objectives.

my knowledge of the cost of recoloring shotgun receivers is somewhat dated, as I have not paid for any of that work since 2007. back then, the cost of low heat vs high heat recoloring was about half as much. plus, the risks of receiver damage via the high heat method were substantial and quite frankly, not worth the risk. back then, I found that guns with high heat recolored receivers were actually a hard sell, due to the concerns of knowledgeable customers about the reliability of the receiver metal, if incorrectly re heat treated. ie: they were afraid the receiver would crack, so they were not willing to risk their money or safety on a gun of unknown quality.

so, logic back then. as now says this:

dont put more into it than you can get out of it and still meet your profit objective.

dont do anything to it to retard its saleability.

my attitude now is that, with rare exception, it does not make economic sense to put money into a gun for receiver case coloring... some like it, some dont, some like it, but dont like the way it was done or how it looks...to many variables. not worth the cost vs benefit risks.

fact is, its this lousy economy that is driving my business decisions. makes it almost not worth it anymore.

and as for Lincoln, the history books tell us he did it right...however, the facts tell me otherwise?

Last edited by ed good; 06/18/14 10:54 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...