Buzz, experiences will vary. Talking with Bob Crandall--and we've both shot a LOT of wild pheasants--we're pretty much on the same page: Most shots are relatively close. And if they're on the fringe of range, you can likely walk a bit farther and find another one. But I'll add that we're both used to hunting in pretty good pheasant country (even though, sadly, it's getting worse everywhere!), usually in small groups, and behind good dogs. Can't recall whether I included the story here, but my last pheasant hunt of last season was in Iowa in January. Cold, windy, and the birds had been hunted--not conditions under which pheasants are expected to "behave". Yet in less than 2 hours, my partner and I flushed 6 roosters. 2 were way out of range. The other 4: all within 25 yards. And that's with Iowa bird numbers in the toilet.

However, experiences may vary. If you're experiencing longer chances wherever you're hunting, then you want to adjust accordingly. Personally, however, I haven't seen a higher % of longer shots since the population has taken a nosedive. I've seen fewer shots with more time and boot leather separating them, but not more longer shots.