Some, few, shooters are "experts" without any practice, at least in their own minds. Some get better with age and some decline. Practice takes you far but talent is still needed. No amount of practice can make a untalented person into a superb shot but it can make you into a decent one. My father was once a great shot but age took it almost all away.

The last time I got my father to go hunting he was 86 almost 87 years old. Reflexes had been gone for decades as he put it and his eye sight is limited to his right eye. I coaxed him for one last trip with the use of a Fox 16 A grade I had just bought. Having a lifelong soft spot for 16's in general he liked it very much and agreed to try one more time.

I set him up in a shady area of the dove field, off towards one end, so he could be more or less by himself and not worry about others watching him shoot. Trust me, if lucky we will all get there someday. He walked the area for a few minutes figuring out where birds could be found easily and where they would be lost for all time. Then he went and cut four small saplings and walked from his seat 40 paces, which for a old man was about 30-32 yards I figured and planted them as known distance markers. He knew his range estimation ability was gone with just one eye and his lack of shooting in recent years so he made an accommodation.

Then he just sat there for about an hour and watched the birds fly. Watched where they came from and how they moved. I did not think he was going to shoot, sometimes you just are done shooting. Finally he loaded his gun. The birds were steady but not in vast numbers that day so he shot singles and then went and retrieved them. He got his limit of 15 birds with 23 shells.

I will have that day in my memory forever and hope for years of shooting under proper conditions. Match you abilities and conditions for best results. The gun he used has not been shot since that day but will remain in my gun room for the rest of my life.

When you hear experts brag about stuff just nod like I do when my wife is talking. It does not cost much and will end the lecture faster. Do not point out their flaws or ask for a demonstration of their abilities. But given the chance let them shoot first or best on the other end of the field.