Thanks Guys,

Please understand that it is not my intention to disparage Adam's work. I am trying to learn and I have questions about how to understand what you are viewing in these images. The more that I look at micro photos and realize how many factors can affect what is seen, the more questions I have.

Did some work today to try and find a comparison to the layers that I theorize to be wrought iron in my broken off barrel section. (The image posted earlier) The metal in these layers has a very large crystalline appearance. It's hard to tell in a photograph, but the crystalline structure sparkles, like diamonds. The only comparable sample that I have looked at is etched 1018 steel. Etched 1018 has a very similar sparkly, crystalline structure. However, the broken barrel piece has not been etched. Then, there is the black material, that I believe could be silica. But, it looks like a LOT of silica. I'm surprised.

Image of etched 1018 steel, below.

I broke a piece from the sample of etched 1018 steel and looked at it under the microscope. I did not etch the broken area. It appears to be a fairly small grain structure. Not at all like it looks when etched. Notice in the image, the lines similar to those seen in the blown out barrel section. Perhaps a product of stresses induced during the forceful destruction??

I then broke a piece from the wrought iron anchor chain sample. Again, no etchant applied. VERY different than the barrel piece. It almost looks like it has hair. Notice the rather large inclusion, at about 10 o'clock.

Result at the end of the day…………. More questions.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives