Jim, there's a noble tradition to affirmative action. You're old enough to remember when blacks couldn't get jobs regardless of qualifications. Before that was the same discrimination against Irish and Catholics. I remember when blacks, Acadians and Catholics couldn't sail on fishing schooners because of colour and faith. I set up the first affirmative action program in Nova Scotia for these reasons nearly 50 years ago with very satisfactory results. From what you've disclosed of yourself, of your interest in your community and church, I believe you would have done similarly.

On the veracity of what you quoted of my post, you were a bit young when wholesale murdering, lynching, kangaroo courts produced, with the Quaker ethos and strategic genius of Bayard Rustin, the passive resistance of the civil rights movement which compelled a reluctant Kennedy to enforce the Constitution. I was there up-close with MLK, JFK, Rustin, Robert and Ted, the murders and marches, the victory for the entire US which within 50 years of darkness elected a black for president. I admire you for it.

It's history, Jim. Look it up.