I hate to add a discordant note to Drew's excellent work and his current working thesis as to the cause but Burrard describes the obstruction bulge as being caused by the momentum of the forward rushing gasses being stopped suddenly by the obstruction. That is, the momentum of the gases at the rear of the barrel causes the gases to carry forward into a high pressure zone at the obstruction and further raise the pressure and then the ring bulge results. Had the barrel wall been so thick and the obstruction so solid that no burst had occured and the gasses allowed to quit rushing about and then the pressure of the contained gasses measured that pressure would be much lower than the pressure required to deform the barrels and make the bulge. If it were not for the momentum of the gases near that are crashing into the obstruction that pressure would not go so high as to cause a bulge. Since the bulge occurred right at the forcing cones I don' think there was enough velocity for the gas momentum to cause a high temporary pressure large enough to burst the chamber. I think it was just an overcharge or an overcharge and a defect in the barrel.

I have become confused which barrel we are talking about on these various threads. I am talking about the damascus barrel that recently gave way on Drew's friend at the skeet field.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/20/14 05:58 PM.

I am glad to be here.