I asked METL to proceed with a formal failure analysis, and here's the estimate frown

Per your request the following quotation is for testing of the component submitted to determine the root cause of failure. Testing is to include preparation, analysis, examinations, photographs, and report.

Misc. sectioning and preparation of the sample: $40.00
Photomacro/micrographs (15 estimated at $15.00 each): $225.00
Metallographic mount and preparation (2 estimated): $105.00
SEM/EDX examination of fracture surfaces: $175.00
Metallographic Examination – Including metallographic examination, failure analysis, and full written report documenting all findings: $630.00

And some other stuff. Could buy a decent 16g shooter instead frown

The good news is that 3 articles will probably come out of all this, with the remote possibility that someone might pay me for the information:
A Blow-Up Post-Mortem
Damascus Mythology and Reality
Non-Destructive Testing of Damascus Barrels
Not sure what would be the best forum; possibly American Rifleman?

The next part of all this is to explore with Team Industrial Services here in Phoenix either MPI or (Adam's advice) radiography to identify wall defects. I will have:
The blown out 2 Iron Remington barrels
2 Iron Smith barrels
Chain Smith barrels
Damascus-Twist Ithaca barrels
and possibly a JABC Twist barrel.
The Ithaca barrels are unusable, so if a defect is seen, METL could then section the barrel and identify exactly the nature of the defect. I would also expect the different patterns to be apparent on x-ray?

I don't believe TEAM is a charitable organization either, but it's all in the name of science smile
and so far my long-suffering spouse is buying it.