Craig, a lie is something that one says knowing it not to be true. The issue under discussion concerned Muhammed Ali's quote of no rich men in the jails of America. I said the rich have an advantage by being able to hire the best lawyers. You have been careless in calling me a liar. I don't believe you meant to. As for asking for a poll, I can't imagine members not having access to their political representatives, in their homes, service clubs, associations or party meetings.

Greater access comes from greater influence. While our spiritual lives are mostly private, our religious denominations as collectives anchor our national ethos and steer political agendas. Drew's missions of compassion may or may not involve meetings directly with policy makers but my guess is that at some stage they participate in and influence private and public agendas. They're building, not taking, seeing their duty and doing it. Just as we do.

Another point you may consider before imputing bad faith to others: Politicians have responsibilities to serve their communities; as our servants, if you like. It's not for citizens to wait for favours to drip from their hands like charity. Politicians aren't our gods. Citizens aren't servile supplicants. We're able to channel, sort and evaluate technical and intellectual expertise.

Last edited by King Brown; 10/24/13 08:42 AM.