Nialmac has very valid point about reamers being deadly weapons in the hands of the unskilled.

It is not only a matter of in or out of proof. There are deeper considerations of design. Pat Whatley, formerly CEO of Webley and Scott brought this to my attention in 1984. I had asked for a SXS to be built along lines of what later turned out as the RBL. Mister Whatley's observation was that the forgings used by W&C. Scott at that time where not substantial enough for my design. Moving the forcing cone forward brings on changes in the stress development in the action as a whole.

Having measure some deepened chambers I found that the wall thickness at the chamber cone juncture in some came down to an alarming 64 thou, in most was around 85 thou and the recommended thickness for modern steel barrels is around 110 thou*. Most of the chambering reamers used for these "alterations" were Spanish made with no rim stop. It all depended on the "judgement" of the person doing the reaming. And though it would have been s simple matter to measure existing diameters and thickness and calculate the metal that would be left, this was obviously not done. Or it might have been done and the client never told, after all he was the one insisting on the job being done.

* Recommended not oly for current safety but also taking into account future rebluing, honing and general wear and tear.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 08/04/13 03:26 PM.