I am looking at a Westley Richards Connaught which a dealer has for sale. The gun is in extremely nice condition - virtually no bluing or case color wear and nearly perfect wood. The barrel wall thicknesses are excellent (minimum 33/1000s). There is, however, a fly in the ointment: the chambers have been lengthened to 2-3/4 inches from 2-1/2 inches and the gun was not resubmitted for proof. The asking price ($7,500) appears to reflect the issue, as other Connaughts I've seen on line go for substantially more. The gun would be my primary grouse and pheasant gun and I'd expect to shoot it with the same low pressure loads I currently use in a Thomas Turner I own that was manufactured in the 1890s.

So, the question: Would you purchase a gun of this quality knowing it was out of proof? I would condition the purchase on inspection by a qualified gunsmith have it inspected before accepting the gun.

All that being said, is this something I should consider or should I just walk away and look for something else?

Thanks.