Since I've "taken the plunge" here, I did a bit of research myself and I found that our Mr. Walter C. Snyder knows quite a bit about Model 17 Remingtons and Ithaca Model 37s, and specifically, how one lead to the development of the other. The part about the Harry Howland patent and how the Model 37 was almost the Model 33 was quite interesting reading. The fact that Pederson's modification patents were also overlooked by Remington (for many years!) was another interesting tidbit. In many ways, Remington really blew-it by allowing Ithaca (in 1932) to pirate their then-discarded Model 17 design. Before the Model 37, Ithaca didn't have any marketable pumpgun designs and their market share was in sharp decline (doubleguns were being replaced by repeaters in the mass-market). With the Model 37, they came roaring back and fully capitalized on the well-tested Browning/Pederson design, now made by them in 12 and 16 gauge as well. The rest, as they say, is history. How many millions of Model 37s have been made? Aren't they still in production somewhere?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/09/13 09:28 PM.