Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Here's what it could do...

Example...

I buy a new handgun....few years down the line I sell it...it's sold again and again and finally ends up in the hands of some crazed crack head.

The said gun is used in a crime...it can only be traced to it's original purchaser.

If the gun had gone through a licensed gun dealer each time it was sold it could be better traced should it be used in a crime.

Only way that it would ever work would be to make it a felony to sell a fire arm without going through a back ground check at a licensed gun dealers shop.

That would stop all da baby mommas buying guns....

Ps...I think you guys are just too paranoid

No it would NOT,felons are NOT required to register or use a background check,look up Haynes vs US

Very little thought is necessary to render as a sick joke the oft-repeated claim that police benefit from knowing who has guns and who hasnt. A registry tells authorities which law-abiding citizens have weapons and which dont which at best is useless information, and at worst is yet another case of governments failing to do anything about the criminal and so going after the rest of us instead. The reductio ad absurdum of this tendency has been well documented by the historian Clayton Cramer. The U.S. Supreme Court, Cramer writes,

ruled in Haynes vs. U.S. (1968) that convicted felons have a Constitutional right to not register a gun, because to register a gun would be self-incrimination. Only people that arent criminals can be punished for not registering. If the criminals arent required to register, but you and I are, why bother?

Advertisement
As Cramer noted, the Supreme Court thus ruled that on Fifth Amendment grounds a person illegally possessing a firearm, under either federal or state law, [can] not be punished for failing to register it. I have no great objection to this principle, but it does highlight the absurdity of an approach that would see constitutionally protected individual liberties being strictly guarded in the case of criminals but restricted when it comes to the law-abiding. Practically speaking, the Haynes decision legally exempts from any future registry the very people whose behavior is used to justify its necessity. Surely, if we are going to become so strict about the Constitution, then the Second and Fourth Amendments should share in the bounty?

Hillary For Prison 2018