For those that mentioned the Ithaca SKB's, small nit to pick: the short-barreled 20's were 25", not 26". The short 12's were 26". Don't ask me why!

I recently looked at statistics from LODGH (the Loyal Order of Dedicated Grouse Hunters) from the 2011 season, which included gun preferences (gauge, choke, action type) among other things. Then I looked back at similar statistics from the early 80's. What hasn't changed: the 20 remains the #1 choice in gauge by a strong margin. What has changed: Way more hunters today choose a double (either OU or sxs) vs pump or auto. And the 28ga, which was scarcely a blip on the radar screen 30 years ago, has made a significant gain in popularity.

I'm currently having chokes opened on a 28ga Parker Repro: straight/splinter/DT/28". For those that know 28ga Repros, you also understand why I'm having the chokes opened. Don't think I've ever seen a 28" 28ga choked anything other than M/F, and the Japanese used 12ga constrictions--which means something more like IM and extra, EXTRA full in a 28ga. I'm thinking that will be my go-to grouse and woodcock gun next season.