Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
This particular topic comes up at intervals. The photos above of the Baker had other photos with them. One, at least, was a pic of the shell head that exploded. The brass of that head showed severe deformation , even showing the extractor imbedded into the brass. All of that showed excessive pressure from an obstruction in the chamber, otherwise the brass head would have looked like the normal shell head after a shell had been successfully fired.

Here's those photo's Daryl.....I don't think the gun owner ever came up with a conclusive reason for the failure.....he did post several times after the incident as I remember..........but no conclusion........?...?...?....Of course there was the "overwhelming" normal speculation from this board on any number of reasons.......as you mentioned it became a popular topic as the years rolled on........

To me the throat just forward of the forcing cone area looks very thin walled and I would guess that is where it let go......?.....Double smokeless charge most likely IMO......?......

Doug