Thank you very much for the information. However, what I don't quite understand is your description of the relationship of the Merkel to the J.P. Sauer shotguns made after the war. My JP Sauer model VIII that this Merkel bears some general family resemblance to, is a much higher grade gun, with great wood, careful fitting, and extensive high quality engraving (according to my books, it is factory engraving pattern style 06 ). In general, every part of the gun is made to much higher specs than is the Merkel. So it can't be just a matter of it being the same gun with a different name stamped on it. My Sauer was made in 1953 in northern West Germany at Eckernförde (and is marked as such), where I understand JP Sauer set up shop after the war...Was there also a JP Sauer branded shotgun being sold out of the pre-war plant at Suhl in East Germany after WWII? This is what you seem to be saying. Can you clear this up for me?

I know exactly what my Sauer sells for in my part of the world but I have no idea about the Merkel. Given that you can't actually handle the gun, in very general terms what do you think these Merkels are worth?

A couple of pictures of my Sauer Model VIII

Last edited by robinpeck; 10/05/12 12:42 PM.