I'm not here to spout information, only to keep the record straight. Of course Flues was an engraver, have you seen the the most famous Marlin schutzen of all time? Have you seen the Ballard/Flues in Frank DeHas book on single shot rifles?
Flues breifly engraved for Baker Gun which is how he became friends with Kornbrath (not verified). He taught at least three apprentices to engrave, Sam Koch, Salvatore Licata(sp?), and Paul Koch. He engraved his patent model for single trigger patent 980147 granted him in 1910. It was his personal gun he kept until about WW II when he relinquished it to one of his apprentices, Sam Koch. This particular gun is not yet posted, but many Flues marked guns can be seen below.

https://sites.google.com/a/iroquoisarmscollectors.org/iroquoisarmscollectors/home/emil-flues-buffalo

Please note that Flues was also a believer in talismans.

Of course Flues was an engraver,and if you say it enough times it even sounds believable.

How many times would I have to repeat
"I remember seeing at the Rochester, NY gun show a fellow who had 6 or 7 Emil Flues guns. I don't recall who that was. Maybe Walt knows." (by Chris Schotz)
to make this sound beleivable? Yet that full blown fabrication stands. These guys know full well Loy's secret signiture and as soon as they get a closet full, they'll tell the rest of you.

Elsewhere on the Iroquois website you can find a pic of Frank Hollenbeck

To the serious students of engraving: If you really want to know how Flues engraving skills progressed after the Depression, the place to look is on Parkers. Paul Brobiel, one of Emil's closest friends, told me that when his father died (Flues employer from c1930-1948) he (Paul)sold 59 fake Parkers to a man who re-sold them as "Pachmyer upgrades" (1960's) (and one real Parker)

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 08/02/12 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling