Originally Posted By: Researcher
I'm sure if you asked, Tony would have your CSMC Ansley H. Fox shotgun engraved exactly like old No. 35. All it takes is liberal application of dollars.

Well almost.
If CSMC doesn't think they can do something well, then they will not do it. I wanted my initials on the trigger guard but blended into the engraving pattern and not in block or any other separate script. Lou didn't feel they could succeed. I commissioned another engraver with a degree in Art to complete a pattern that I could forward to CSMC. I had previously used the engraver for a small job which he did very well in 1930's style. Anyway, he never did the pattern and when when it was time to do the engraving, I had to go with standard trigger guard for the DE Special which is very nice anyway.

The comment

"The comment made to me regarding turnover of gunsmiths at CSMC was speculation by a very informed person during a discussion of why the CSMC Foxes & CSMC sidelock O&Us seem to vary considerably in build quality. Possibly he was wrong about the Fox guns at least & Mr. Lucas is simply overwhelmed by all that work!"

is what makes the Internet such a poor resource for facts. A second hand report of a 'speculation' by a person that in no way has access to the facts to offer an objective assessment.
I have been handling every CSMC gun I could get my hands on since I first met Tony at a CADA Show in Chicago in the early 1990's. They have all been very nicely made and the only significant variability I have found is the engraving and figure of the wood. Some I liked and some I didn't like. This is not 'build quality'.
If you obsess over things than you never will get a gun built to your specifications because no one makes the perfect gun.-Dick
BTW
"if they offered one with that CSE engraving, I would have to buy it."

No one is going to offer you anything. If you want that pattern, call CSMC and ask for it. I was very specific in what engraving I wanted on my Fox and except for the initials, it's exactly as I wanted.

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 03/14/12 11:53 AM.