Perhaps this has been discussed here but I couldn't find what I need doing searches.

Soldering barrels together is not really like soldering sights on or any other soldering job I've done in gunsmithing. I've repaired loose ribs on several double gruns, but I'm tired of all the time spent cleaning up. I use techniques and tools I got from the ACGG's tape of Bill Nitler showing how he did it, but I have two areas I'm looking for help with:

First, I'm having trouble with building a long double torch which can heat the barrels from inside. I first made one up using Oxy-Acetelene, but it pops and sputters badly and just won't stay lit. I made one up using just Acetelene, but the flames go out as soon as I put it down the barrels, so I'm looking for help with a torch. It has to have two heads and about 30-inches long.

The other problem is the flux and solder. Nitler used a paste tinning flux and almost no added wire solder. He mentions in the film that the product he uses has 5-percent silver and is neutralized by heat so clean up is easy. I cat find anything like that. The 5-percent silver tinning flux I found leaves a sticky residue that neither acetone nor soap and water will clean up. I'd sure apreciate hearing from those who've been doing this job.

Last edited by John Farner; 02/04/12 10:56 AM.

John Farner
Eagle Machine Gunsmithing, LLC
Corrales, New Mexico