Originally Posted By: 2-piper

Am I to take it that British Proof would thus not be recognized by other countries as it has "So Forcibly" been pointed to us Rebellious Colonists that British proof is run by the "Gunmakers" & "NOT" the State/Government???

So, will the REAL 2 piper/Miller please stand up?? If you "know" that British proof is recognized by other countries, then why the above question? Looks like you knew it before you didn't know it, or something like that.

If you can't recall your own posts, only a page or so apart, how is anyone to believe that you "recall" mine from years ago? Frankly--might be because I'm a poor reader, or maybe because you're a poor writer--but I can't understand what it is you're trying to say about what you "recall" I believed about chamber length on old American guns. I've known for quite some time (all I have to do is glance at the shell lengths listed in my 1940 Shooters Bible to remind me) that not all American guns were chambered 2 5/8"--those were 12's, most of the short 16's being 2 9/16" and the short 20's 2 1/2". In my writings on vintage American guns, I always point out that the change to the current 2 3/4" standard for those gauges did not happen all at once. For that matter, individual companies went to the 2 3/4" "standard" for different gauges at different times. My library includes the Brophy book on LC Smiths, in which the inscription indicates it was given to me by an old friend over 20 years ago--which I think may even predate this BB. And certainly ever since I've had that book--which includes a diagram from 1938 (p. 228) showing the 12ga with 2 3/4" chambers and the 16ga with 2 9/16" chambers--I haven't been very confused about what was going on before all the American companies finally stopped producing short-chambered guns. Methinks your recall is confused . . . or else I don't understand what it is you're trying to say.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/10/12 07:48 PM.