While we are on this comparsion with automobiles I will attempt to make a few points. I have not been looking at this subject in regards to Registration nor, I believe, has Larry. Automobile registration was never intended, nor any attempt made, to "Deprive" the citizenry of the right to own & operate any number of vehicles they could afford. The same Cannot be said of those desiring Gun Registration. That being said I do not perceive Registration as Larry's intent in favor of this nor is my objection to it based on this aspect.

While I understand the point of those in favor of this, my objection lies on grounds other than registration.
My concern is "IF" it is not made retro-active to include all guns sold, nothing will be accomplished. To go back to the odometer comparsion I can sell any vechicle I might own made prior to the law irregardless of what may or may not have beeen done to its odometer or if it even still works or not, this law made no attempt to "GrandFather" in Older & Antique automobiles.
To make an attempt to GrandFather all the older guns in existence in the US, most with unmarked bore dias & chamber lengths is simply something I don't think we want.
As I recall "ALL" guns proofed in England were marked with the gauge of their bores. Thus a 12ga overbored for brass shells would not be marked 12, more apt to be 11 or 11/1 after 1887. One of the "Chamberless" guns would probably be marked 10. Early guns were not marked for chamber length but after 1904 at least one can determine with reasonable certainity the original chamber by the load it was proofed for. Between 1887 & 1904 it wil have either a C or LC mark, & while this does not denote an absolute chamber length it does offer some limits.
This situation simply does "NOT Exist" on guns built in the US. I have already mentioned that many Lefevers, as well as other early American makes, were bored for brass shells, I have Lefevers with oversize bores which I "Suspect" left the factory that way. I also have several 12ga Lefevers with 2 3/4" chambers & the one 16ga I mentioned with 3" chambers.
I have no intention of using these guns with current SAAMI spec shells nor do I have a desire to have them proofed for such use. I know the proposed law would only apply if I wanted to sell them, but If I did decide to sell them I really don't want to go through the hassel of trying to prove they are original nor the expense of having them proofed. I would much rather sell them to someone who understands them for what they are & with plans to use them accordingly.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra