Well Miller, it's also pretty hard to "restore" a gun that's had 2 1/2" chambers lengthened to 2 3/4". But it is quite possible to reproof it for modern 2 3/4" loads.

Craig, where did I suggest that I want any kind of registration for guns? If you're going to challenge me on something, I think I've posted enough on this thread that you should be able to stick with something I said, not something I didn't say.

Here's my point: I believe the old saying about not being able to legislate morality. However, you can legislate (or enforce) behavior. People stop at red lights even when other cars aren't around because they've learned that a red light means stop, and a cop might write them a ticket if they don't. Many people wear seatbelts not because they want to, but because of "click it or ticket". Similarly, Bubba will stop punching chambers if gun owners realize that a gun with punched chambers has to be submitted for reproof in order to be sold--unless the owner of said gun is prepared to do that. And that's a good thing, both for the guns and for the gun owners. Only my opinion, however, and anyone else is certainly entitled to disagree. But I like the confidence level I get when I read British/European proofmarks and find that the gun matches what those proofmarks tell me.