Genelang, to answer your question. It would be the Proof House authorities that would take the offender to court as they could supply the expert evidence. I wouuld doubt if the 'government' would even know or care much as they would not bear the expense.

A gun failing proof just comes back to the person who submitted it. Nothing cut out of the barrel or anything. It can always be repaired and re-submitted. I have only had one fail proof and that was a little 20 bore hammer gun where the action cracked and it bent like a banana; barrels were o.k. The gun was repaired by the Gunsmith by stainless steel welding and re-submitted and it passed. I could sell it legally but I intend to keep that one anyway.

Craigd. I agree that our handgun ban was unfair and descriminatory. It wasn't the Proof House that supplied any information as they don't keep such detailed records. All handgun owners were registered with the Police and that is why it only affected legitimateley owned guns. Being close to election time was the driving factor on this one. It only affected England, Wales and Scotland as Northern Ireland were allowed to keep theirs as the government deceided that there was little evidence of firearms misuse in N. Ireland; the IRA, like fairies, therefore don't exsist. The Channel Islands and Isle of Man were not affected either.

Out of proof guns can be sold as the Proof House will issue certificates of unpovability in the case of intesting old guns in original condition that can then be sold as curios unintended for use. This is usually in the case of something with and unusual patent action that is rare and should be preserved. This allows it to be sold if accompanied with the relevent certificate.

The Proof House has been in exsistence since America was but a fledgling colony and it seems to have served us well without any problems so far. Lagopus.....