Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Faux is faux. Art is art. Embellishment is embellishment. Hand engraving is more highly regarded than laser etching, hand checkering more so than machine and, given the talent required and the uniqueness of each piece, hand painting wood figure trumps film dipping.

But what makes scratching the surface of a plain metal action or rasping the wood with geometric grooves a loftier endeavor than grain embellishment?

Mike,
I guess that the feeling among some people regarding faux grain enhancement is that it is used to show something that isn't really there. Making a plain piece of wood look like a $1500 piece of wood by painting in grain and mineral streaks that arent really there, that would and could make some people uncomfortable. For instance, an expensive gun, with an average piece of wood, the owner wants to sell it but knows there is more money to be made selling a gun that has a fantastic piece of wood, so the seller has the grain "enhanced" and Voila', the gun is all the sudden worth more money because of the "premium" wood. You being the buyer of that gun believed you were paying a extra premium because of the wood quality, only to find out later that it isnt what it seemed to be. Not saying that anyone here would sell a gun that has been enhanced without first disclosing that information to the potential buyer right up front, just saying it could happen and make for a nasty surprise for the buyer later on down the road.
And from what I've seen, Marks work is so well done it would almost be impossible to tell unless told, that can make people, aka potential buyers nervous about the process, granted....some people probably wouldn't care one way or another, but some would.

Comparing what Mark does to metal or wood embellishment like engraving or stock carving (think high grade Fox, or even high grade muzzleloaders) isn't fair in my opinion. What is being done there is out in the open and it something that has been traditionally done for hundreds of years..you can see it, feel it and know its there.

I dont think what Mark does is comparable to X-tra wood or any garbage like that, I think what he does for sure has its place in the gun world. Not everyone can do what he does, he shows considerable talent and skill and his work is useful.

Dustin