Yesterday, I chanced upon a very nice Webley and Scott 20ga SxS. I don't know much about Webley and Scott guns, nor any English shotguns for that matter, but I believe it was a Model 702, if that makes any sense. The gun handled superbly, and had a beautiful bluing to the barrels and nice CC on the action.

Engraved upon the barrels was "Regulated and Shot by Holland and Holland." "H&H" was also engraved on the side of the action. The gun store owner told me that this was a gun that had been built by Webley and Scott, and then sent to Holland and Holland where the ribs were de-soldered and the gun re-regulated by shooting and adjusting, etc. Presumably, H&H reblued the barrels after regulating, and possibly did the case coloring on the action, too.

Why would Holland and Holland rework a Webely and Scott? I always thought of Webley and Scott guns as being very well made, and not in need of re-regulating by anyone. I also thought that the London "Best" gunmakers would never openly acknowledge that a gun coming out of their shop was made by a "lesser" Birmingham firm.

Anyone ever hear of Holland and Holland reworking a Webley and Scott and then proudly proclaiming such on the gun? Anyone have any thoughts on how much over the price of a regular Webley and Scott the work by Holland and Holland would add?

It was a beautiful gun, regardless.

--shinbone

Last edited by shinbone; 09/01/11 10:03 AM.