Thermometer came today. Built a holder for it and a place to hang parts from.
I had two bottles of stump remover (potassium nitrate) and went and bought another. Pourng the two bottles of crystals into the loaf pan brought the level to about 1 1/2" from the top. Added a little more and set on the burner. Partially disolved at 600 deg and fluid was dark, a few minutes later it was better, more translucent, but the tmeperature would not go above 600 deg. Started with triggers, left in about 6 minutes, took out and quenched in oil, left a heavy film of junk on them. Did a few screws, and quencehd them in oil also.Did the top lever, left in longer but this time I flushed it with water, took the scum off under the water. Did the trigger guard, left in about 10 minutes,, but the wires weren't long enough so I fastended the "S" hooks on the side, but the tirgger guard was on it's die also. When finished it came out blotchy.
I am fairly happy with the screws, the tip lever, trigger guard will have to be done over when I find a burner that will go higher. It states on the side of the burner case that the output is 34k/btu hr. I was only using one burner of the two. What should I look for as to output of burner/s?

Had a fan behind me blowing out the door. Used safety glasses and a face shield aldong with welders gloves.

I have to go get another bottle of stump remover to bring the level up. That would be 4 total in a pan that measures 10" inside x 4" wide x 3" high (approx)

Also do you have to polish the parts after? Mine had a matte finish on them, I buffed them with a rag and they looked much better.

Last edited by JDW; 07/26/11 06:58 AM.

David