It seems to me that its all a moot point! Tony is the one who builds them now!! This I know for a fact if you take a hard look at the winchester produced actions and compare them to the 21's produced by Tony, there is quite an improvement in the fit and finish. Just action the two guns the Galazan gun will action better its smoother etc. Its not just my own opinion but that of a gunsmith that has made up and rebarreled more 21's than any other smith in the country except Tony and the orginal stuff from the factory. In fact Phil Brown said the same thing before he got sick. Who's he? He had Santa Monica Guns and made 28 and 410 barrels for the 21's when no one else could get them.
That said the Grand royal is way over the top as it was when it was introduced oh these many years ago at the Sahara gun show.
The point is that was then this is now. Tony is the one who stepped up to the plate and kept them alive and makes them better!! The engraving is a personal thing and if Indian royality was still buying tarted up guns the royal would be long gone and we could get back to buying 21's that were built to our taste and pocket book.
Then there is the fox! Ask me about my foxica some time. There is a gun that is most certainly built better now than in yesteryear.
Regards
John Mc