KK, I am and have been an admirer of V. M. for a long time. I corresponded with him until just before he died. I regret that I never got to meet him, face-to-face. "In love...."; I dunno. Very much respect, yes.

I'll let the observations about syntax and reading comprehension pass. I'll just put the responsibility on myself. I very much regret any unfairness and any "heartburn" that might have come from my comments.

"Windbag"; I guess, being a Midwesterner, I just don't see his style as indicating that. A good bit of it is humor. I suppose that this might be a cultural thing. (I still think that DUPA is a bit much...especially based on the "take" on the term that I have derived from "Buffalo Polish".)

Dave Katt makes a couple of good points. First, the primary role of fiber wads in m/l shotguns is as a carrier of lubricant. Secondarily, the role can also be as an obturator where bore conditions requre it, e.g. when a gun has a "burnt breech". From what I can tell, protection from shot deformation is usually distinctly secondary, possibly due in part to BP's comparatively gentle pressure curve. One of the "knocks" on Fffg powder (see Fadala) as a shotgun powder is that it allegedly "tears up" wad columns more than Ffg and Fg powders do.

One approach to compensating for reduced shot velocities is to "go up" one shot size from what is used with more standard-velocity loads. This might be one reason why larger shot charges are recommended; to increase pellet count with the larger shot.

Golfs" makes an intersting observation. What he seems to be talking about is what were called "shot concentrators", some of which were pretty elaborate. Oiled cloth most certainly would work. However, I have had my best results, though not with jug choked barrels, with "concentrators" that are made from "cereal box cardboard". The devices are simple "crosses" that have their "arms" just long enough to almost completely encase the desired powder charge and just wide enough to cover the circumference of the bore when they are "put together". The "crosses" are "pre-formed" by pushing them through a bore size hole in a piece of board, which "breaks" the carboard slightly and which forms the "cross" into a "cup". I have found such "cups" to load more easily than shot protectors that are made of "softer" materials. I am not sure how much lubrication of these cups would help if there is other wad lubrication present. However, I suppose that such lubrication most likely would not hurt anything.

"Golfs" also makes a good point about V. M.'s loads. Some (though not nearly all) of V. M.'s loads apparently were intended for choke-bored barrels. However, his "base" volume-for-volume load does seem to have more general applications.

KK asks a good question about modifying OP wads. It is not at all uncommon to have tight-fitting OP wads try to "back out" due to trapped air in the bore. The purpose of the hole is to allow this air to escape during loading. Holes can work but I have had my best luck with making a small "notch" on one side of my card OP wads. This practice can ease loading effort quite a bit. Of course, being a bit on the compusive Teutonic side, I have always preferred to use two OP wads, making sure that the notches do not line up. (One can't be too carful, you know!) I understand that one of the tools that often came with "original" guns was a device that would be used to "notch" wads.

OK, Mr. Moderator! I'm ready for my "star dock", now.