Here are some more ideas. The elephant ivory piece shown is now a hexagon shape and will become the handle for the cleaning rod in a cased set. I'm still cogitating, but it will probably be carved into something like the tooth on the left.

IMO using ivory on a rifle is a risky proposition, aesthetically. I really like it better when used in a cased set or on other small items or as inserts within a larger application, such as a presentation oval with scrimshaw initials or a thumb plate on the wrist of a muzzleloader.

My 'Mother-In-Law' varminter has an ivory grip cap insert but I'm not satisfied with the overall look, it's far too light-colored to suit me.

Regards, Joe

PS: RDH45, my offer still stands, if you want to carve your ivory I'll be happy to lend you my own source books and if you want to trade it off I'll see if I have anything that interests you. I have some orphan hippo and warthog ivory myself if you're interested, plus a little gun stuff (grin).

Last edited by J.D.Steele; 03/21/11 04:31 PM.

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!